Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Erik Estabrook tells about his first Booksigning

My First Book Signing

Contributed by

Erik Estabrook www.erikestabrook.com

The experience of my first book signing was valuable one. I find it important to note that many poets will never get known unless you hit media outlets or spots where you can have signings, recitals, etc.

I organized my first book signing at Starbucks in Alexandria, Virginia. I was faced with allot of uncertainty in arranging it.

First the possibility of them laughing me out of the building.

Second the fact that you could undersell.

Third the fact that there could be absolutely no interest.

At my first book signing I was approached by a fellow poet who was traveling the country.She was one of the most important contact I've met to this day.She goes by the name the Midnight Writer, and writes stunning poetry. She blogged about me on her site, and we talked throughout the day.

It was at the signing that I learned valuable salesmanship tools. I found that if you ask them to read your book while drinking their coffee and relaxing you just might have a sale, and if you don't you've still met someone.

The Starbucks coffee signing trained me with sales knowledge, people skills, and in the end it just turned out to be a heck of allot of fun. All and all it is not a successful signing if you don't enjoy yourself, enjoy the atmosphere, and the people around you.

ErikEstabrook.com - Homepage

www.erikestabrook.com

Erik Estabrook's Art and Poetry: personal poetry site of published poet Erik Estabrook.

1 comment:

The Midnight Writer's Cafe is here for your browsing and reading enjoyment. Please tell us what you would like to find on these pages whenever you log on. We welcome your comments and suggestions and please leave a link to your blog or website.